Mar 24, 2011

FINAL of 50 Faiths - Personal Experience

I have been remiss on writing my church blogs because I've had to work the last few Sundays.
 
And after an experience 2 months ago, I won't be pursuing the 50 faiths any longer.  Not because I didn't find what I was looking for, just the opposite, because what I needed was given to me in my own living room, not in a church.

I've thought for a few weeks about whether to write this particular blog or not.  But I decided that my journey, although deeply personal, is being shared for a purpose.  And if I didn't share this experience, then all the rest of my stories would be missing a very important element - and that element is my personal Faith.

I didn't begin the  journey of 50 Faiths to "find God" - as I've mentioned before, it was to fulfull a commitment, to become aware and open-minded, and to become educated enough to earn the right to have an opinion about religion in general.  And to help overcome my social anxieties.

I had planned on attending these services without the awareness of a God, something I haven't believed in for many years.  I have overcome many, many obstacles in my life with the use of reason, science, psychology and sheer will. 

But a few weeks ago, I was in a dark lonely place.  I had emotionally fallen and couldn't get up.  And although my dear friends and family rallied around me with selfless devotion and support, I felt myself slipping into the abyss.  I was losing the battle and I was terrified.  And my beloved Science, my well-trained cognitive therapy tricks, just weren't working.  In fact, I simply couldn't process what was happening to me.

And in my darkest moment, perhaps the lowest level of anguish that I have ever experienced, I got on my knees.  Not because I Believed, but because I had no where else to go.    And I ask, no I begged, for help.  I cried out for any assistance to help me get off that floor and find my way back.  And then I got stood up, expecting nothing.

Within moments, an event occurred that my Beloved Science can never explain.  I don't know what I had hoped would happen, but this occurence was definitely not what I would have considered a Miracle.  In fact, the emotional pain in that moment was so intense that I felt completely hopeless.  And yet, it began to become clear that a Presence had been made known to me.  And in such a manner, that for the rest of my life, I can never doubt it again.  

I am forever altered from that moment.  And although I found my way back, I have felt like a different person ever since.  Not someone foreign to myself, but just the opposite, I have felt like ME.  It was my experience, and it wouldn't have much meaning to anyone else.  But I believe it was meant for me, it was my personal gift.  And my spiritual nudge. 

And although I will continue to rely on my science, my reason and my common sense to guide me through life's twists and turns, it's sure nice to know that I also have a little extra support as well. 

5 comments:

  1. wow! amazing kymm. love that you are open to share. i believe you will encourage a lot of people with this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a great site! I like the way you set this up! Great content and images as well! Thanks for sharing this!...Daniel

    ReplyDelete
  3. How wonderful Kymm...I've been to that abyss too, and without that "presence" could never have made it...with it, I make it filled with great joy and hope. So glad you found it...Love you, Lisa :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is powerful on so many levels. You are an incredible woman with an amazing insight - thank you for putting this out there for people to see.
    Mari

    ReplyDelete