Jan 7, 2011

#1 of 50 Faiths

Transit, Sunday Mornings 10:30am
Center Stage

2315 N. Davidson St.
Charlotte, NC
704.644.0919


With no idea what to expect for the first time attending church as an adult,
 I decided to start simple. So I attended a "non-church".


I chose Watershed because of the convenience factor.  The studio where I work is located behind their meeting location at Center Stage.  I had driven by on numerous Sundays and seen young people, dressed very casually, hanging out in the parking lot and drinking coffee....as always, I dismissed the whole scene as cult members and kept driving.  If I'd only known that one day I'd be walking in those doors...

I arrived on time that morning but was too afraid to walk in early and perhaps chance being pounced on by avid cult members trying to save my soul.  So I sat in my car and sipped on coffee.  And called my mother.  I was surprised at how nervous I was.  When I got the nerve to get out of the car and approach the doors, my hands began to tremble, my eyes filled with tears and I told my mom {who was still on the phone with me} "I don't think I can do this".  I paused in the parking lot.  I was about to do something I said I'd never do.  I didn't believe or agree with anything that went on in this building.  I considered going home - I hadn't told anyone about my New Year's Resolution - so no one would know that I failed at my first attempt.  But then, that was the point - to force myself to participate in social environments outside my norm.  To practice open-mindedness. So I opened the door.

Two young people smiled and handed me pamphlets.  They didn't make the sign of the cross or do anything spooky so I walked on in.  There was a large table filled with coffee and pastries.  I thought that was very inviting but I was too nervous to make eye contact with anyone.  {I love Center Stage, it's one of my favorite venues.  So as far as the decor goes, I was very comfortable in the beautiful, airy, brightly colored building.  It's a gorgeous warehouse with high ceilings and modern, contemporary decor.} And I loved the fact that they "recycled" a venue, instead of wasting thousands of donation dollars to build a new one.  I assumed that allowed more funding to go toward good causes.    I was even more comfortable when I noticed there weren't any crosses or stained glass windows.  I almost relaxed.

Until I walked into the "meeting room" which was just rows of chairs and a large stage with video screens.   I chose a seat near the back {I always hide in large groups} and noticed a stack of bibles at the end of the aisle.  I stiffened.  Just relax and sit down I told myself.  You knew there would be bibles here.  Once sitting, I looked around.  The first thing I noticed was no none was staring at me.  And I was surprised.  I get stared at a lot due to my appearance but especially in an environment like this I expected to stand out.  Truthfully, no one seemed to notice me. 

The first thing I noticed was that everyone was so young.  I'd guess the majority of people were 20-40 yrs old.  And they all had on jeans, sweaters, t-shirts - a very hip and artsy styled crowd.  Second was the stage and live band.  It was a fairly large stage with a "pop-rock" band, all young guys playing instruments in front of 3 large video screens.  The band started playing and the in-sync video feed started on the screens. {Immediately I started getting visions of Pink Floyd's The Wall music video with classrooms of kids being brainwashed by exposure to rapidly flashing videos...} I have never heard live music in a church before. Much less video screens.  It seemed a little overdone and too rehearsed for my taste, but I realize this is a modern service.  You could sing along with the words, kinda karaoke style.   I didn't sing.  And I didn't stand up.  I was the only one sitting.  But no one seemed to care. 

Then the pastor came on stage.  An attractive, fit man wearing jeans and a long sleeve tshirt.  He was very charasmatic, yet laid back at the same time.  He cracked jokes and told stories.  He explained that Watershed was a church for those who had left the church.  For those that didn't believe in church or had experienced bad or traumatic events in church.  I felt like he was speaking directly to me.  The atmosphere was relaxed.  But at some point, he started talking about Jesus.  And scriptures started appearing on the video screen.  The only way I can describe his "sermon" was to say that I felt like I was attending a positive speaking seminar - only the topic was Jesus.  He wore a headset and moved around a lot.  You could tell he was very comfortable on stage and probably had done this for quite a while.  I felt he was sincere, and although I didn't feel pressured to accept Jesus as my savior, I did get a strong impression that it would be a good idea if I did. Although thankfully, I wasn't threatened with eternal damnation if I didn't.  He made the choice seem very simple and well, you almost couldn't see a reason not to.  Except that I don't believe, so I didn't.

Toward the end of the service, he mentioned something about communion, I don't know what that is exactly but people started gathering up front and I knew some creepy ritual was about to begin so I gathered my things and snuck out the back door (and I noticed another guy did too).   Besides, doesn't communion crackers have carbs?

As I was leaving, I realized the social  aspect can't be denied.  From someone with only a couple family members, it is indeed a tempting community.  You just don't feel so alone.  And it appears that people in this environment  lower the veil of judgement long enough to accept you in the moment.

Overall, it was  very positive experience.  I have a feeling, facing 49 more faiths this year that are considerably more organized and fundamental, this will be more than likely one of the better experiences.

Watershed being marketed as the "UNchurch", I feel that I cheated a little bit. But you gotta start somewhere, right?   Lesson learned?  That regardless of the reason, people can come together for a positive cause, get inspired and hopefully leave with a new motivation to live their daily lives with a more accepting attitude.




2 comments: